October 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
The weather will be quite cool here tomorrow (50's) so I will take advantage of the weather and start decorating for fall. This will give me a chance to declutter the closet where I keep all my totes of decorations.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thank you, SparkleNana! After soccer tomorrow, we will be decorating for Halloween and I hope to declutter several things out of our many tubs!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Got most of my decorating done. Just need to do the kitchen and balcony. Unfortunately during my decorating, I didn't have a lot to declutter. Just a few old candles that I used last year and for the life of me don't know why I kept them because they did not burn well (Got them from a cheap dollar store - not Dollar Tree) and some garland I had no use for.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I plan on declutter of laundry area/basement and my overflowing never used card making supplies (gulp)

I need to bring in the windows from the porch to paint (too cold and wet outside - running out of time!) So I need to clean up a BIG mess in the basement to make room.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Took 6 shirts out of my armoire to give away. 2 were brand new... which is probably why I kept them this long... but they don't fit right and never will.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hurray for Declutttering! Hurray for Our Declutter Club! And.... Hurray for October 2011!

Some "interesting decluttering fot done this weekend!!!!" I store" things... in the trunks of our two cars.

A couple of days ago... we cleaned out ONE trunk.... to pick up ds, ddil & dgd11.. at the airport. We neeed room for their luggage.

TODAY... we cleaned out the second and last trunk of a car.... to take ds, ddil & dgd... back to the airport. ONE bag went directly into trash. TOMOROW... I will look at the other two bags.... and throw out as much as I can!

Baby steps.... will take us to our destination!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
October 3rd. Monday. Ahorsesoul.... I love your sweet, encouraging words! Thank you! Slowly.... and I DO mean "slowly".... I will look through the bags of "stuff" that were brought in from the trunk of the car. I will think LONG and HARD.... before deciding that ANY item should have a place in this house! MOST of it will go directly to (1) the Thrift Shop... or (2) trash/recycling! The Thrift Shop begins accepting donations on Wednesday of each week. Trash/recycling is picked up early on Friday mornings.

SEVEN people were living in this small house... during the anniversary celebrations. With an additional five people.... spending time.... IN here...... for much of that time. Yet.... things ALWAYS looked pretty good.... and still do! That HAS TO BE.... because of the Decluttering Club! The rooms are just..... uncrowded. They are "uncluttered". (OK, OK..... NOT the guest room.... YET!) AND.... things felt calm and unstressed..... even WITH the four kids running around and playing.... and everyone eating and drinking and talking. THAT "calm and unstressed feeling".... is worth every minute spent decluttering!!!!

So... one by one.... those bags will join me.... in front of theTV set... for some more Baby Steps towards decluttering!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
October 4th, Tuesday. Yesterday.... working very slowly.... I got TWO big black trash bags Out The Door. AND... some things set aside for the Thrift Shop.... tomorrow. These were all things that had been riding around in the trunk of our car..... FOREVER!!!!!

And... there are STILL... two BIG bags of stuff.... to go through! And.... it is ALL suff that had been living.... in the trunk!!!!

Dealing with these remaining things may take longer..... because I want to concentrate on OUTSIDE things today.... and tomorrow.... and as long as the weather permits! WE are getting those first frosty days.... where it feels SO GOOD.... to put on a warm sweater... and to snuggle under lots of covers at night! ALTHOUGH.... I saw that North Dakotas was supposed to have.... Record Breaking HIGH Temperatures Today.... IN THE NINETIES!!!!! WHAT is up with the weather this year??? It is insane!!!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We've gotten quite a bit of clutter out of the house recently - which is GREAT!!!

MIL is having a big garage sale and DH finally let go of several things we've been storing for a while. Rolls of upholstery fabric that have been in the back of the closet FOREVER :)

Little bit of this, little bit of that! It is starting to add up!

We took a truck load to Goodwill a few weeks ago too!

Right now I have another box worth of misc kitchen items to take MIL for her sale (she is having again this weekend)

It is SO much easier to deal with what is left behind when you start to have ROOM for things!

{My apologies for the excessive use of capitalization in this post! Apparently I am very passionate on this topic.}

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
ONE bag (of junk from the trunk of the car).... into the trash. The rest of the day was routines (laundry, cooking, etc.).... and working outside. Working outside was great! Tomorrow... I will work on the remaining bag of things from the trunk of the car. I'll try to take things to the Thrift Shop tomorrow.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
SN...you do realize your car will get better gas mileage because added weight lessens gas mileage?! So you have a double win...better gas mileage and clutter gone!

One bag of trash and two shoeboxes of crayons went out from DD's room tonight. As I watch TV tonight, I am going to look through magazines and do tear files. Our high school where I work is having a paper recycling project all year. After I tear out what I want, I am taking the rest of the magazine to the school for recycling.

My aunt is having a rummage sale for nephew who had the wreck to help with hospital expenses. I have been collecting things and sending them to her, too...mainly clothes or knick-knacks I no longer want/need.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Oh, my goodness! I saw my first Hoarding show on our way back from Yellowstone! How scary was that?! And, guess what? Just after I saw it, I had an e-mail from our church secretary whose daughter teaches in a school with a majority of children who live at below-poverty level. She was asking for left-over yarn, fabric, needles, etc., for their art/sewing classes. Did she come to the right place or what?!? I wrote back and told her that if she would save me some computer paper boxes, I could keep those students in fabric and yarn for a long time! Remember, my goal is an organized, decrapified sewing room by Christmas! I'm so excited, and really motivated! Wish me luck! Such a good incentive for letting go of things I don't need, and will probably never use.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
ChistmasRose,Nothing like viewing a Hoarder show for motivation. Those kids will sure benefit from your craft supplies.

MissJane, How nice to be able to help your nephew out with his hospital bill and declutter at the same time.

AuntJamelle, You sure are on a roll with the decluttering. Great job.

SN, You are now finding out how all those tiny decluttered spaces are coming together to be a whole decluttered house. It seems to happen overnight.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
October 7th, Friday. No decluttering for the last few days.... well.... no decluttering INSIDE. Lots going on outside.... in the beautiful fall weather!!!! (I am praying that it gets to the "too hot" places.... SOON!!!!)

We have a climate that promotes massive, lush growth during the summer. I am cutting the excess back.... bit by bit. I am piling the woody branches.... along the property nearest the creek. This makes "hiding places" for the bunnies.... and the other little animals. It protects the wild creatures from dogs and cats! The branches (on the ground) are hidden by the remaining lush growth. (I am putting them on OUR property.... which is about 15 feet back from the banks of the creek.)

Today... I'll try to spend more time "inside". As I go about the "house blessing".... I'll bring my black trash bag for clutter... and my sturdy bags for donations!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
BIG old tv & a rocking chair are out the door &have just been picked up :) More space in the basement ... for the stuff I bought last week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
More items out the door to bless someone else. WTG declutterers.