October 2011 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I filled up two boxes with fabric without even trying! I haven't even looked at my yarn! Think I'll send my old aluminum knitting needles, too. When I really get into the fabric bins in the closet, I'm sure I'll find a ton of fabric that will make me wonder what I was thinking when I bought it! I'm so grateful for the opportunity to do this both for myself, and for those children who, according to their teacher, get such a boost in self-esteem from making something with their own hands to give away. These children, who are so very poor, are making things for charity! Doesn't it just bring tears to your eyes? And I sit here with my fancy Bernina sewing machine, my relatively new Apple computer, a huge library of quilting, knitting, and craft books, tons of fabric and yarn that I will never live long enough to use, and whine about the clutter! Shame on me!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ChristmasRose good for you for doing this.

I sent a big bag of 'to-give' stuff to mom so she can give to some of my cousins. out of the house! yay! + I had some extra stuff for Christmas gifts which I sold to her - makes us both happy.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
October 10th - Monday.

For our 2011 Holiday Grand Plan... we are working in the Guest Room... or whichever room we choose. It is the Guest Room for me! AND... today I got rid of TWO big working TV sets... that need a rented "cable box" to make them get reception.. (Our cable company rents the boxes for over $10 a month. So... if we DO put a TV in this room.... it will be cheaper to buy a TV... which come "cable ready" with no rental box needed. (Over $120 a year adds up to a new TV pretty soon!)

I saw a young guy who lives in a rented group house near us.... I saw him picking up a desk with a "Free" sign on it... across the street. I asked him if he wanted one or both of the TV sets! It is a big group house.... and he wanted BOTH sets! And... he said they already HAVE cable boxes (I didn't ask how they got them.)

It is amazing how easily young strong men can lift heavy things! Both TV sets are now gone to a new home! And... both of the small wicker dressers are gone to the Thrift Shop. HOWEVER.... there are big black bags full of Halloween decorations taking up los of space in that room now!!

Two steps forward and one step back.

Still... this was great progress today..... and totally spontaneous!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
SN - how fun is that? you decide to get rid of things and they are gone instantly! and they make someone else happy :)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Oh, SparkleNana, when you mentioned the big black bags full of Halloween decorations, my little heart fluttered, and I wondered where you lived! Then I realized that they weren't out on the street -- you were keeping them!! Reminder to self -- De-clutter! De-clutter! De-clutter!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
ChristmasRose, when I read the wicker furniture from SN I wondered she the thrift store was.
I have did nothing in October yet. But haven't really brought anything in either. Well a new printer today.
Way to go with the decluttering you gals!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
HI girls! Haven't been here in a few weeks...first time I'm turning my computer on in that time!

Not too much in the decluttering/tossing dept, although I do have a small bag to go to GoodWill. I have cleaned out and reorganized some kitchen cabinets so that feels good. I also have another box to send to my daughter of things I found in boxes in the garage that she wants to have with her...so soon no box in the living room!

Trying to stay on top of filing and shredding...I need to get a new file box for my files so I can stay better organized.

Hope all is well...and I'm hoping to set aside some time each day to get online!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I filled up another box with fabric, yarn, and books for the school. The bad part is that it's hard to see that I've made a dent in the clutter in my sewing room! Maybe I need to focus on just one spot at a time. Okay, today will be spent on the table beside my desk. It's covered with magazines and papers -- things I've either torn out of magazines and catalogs, or things I've copied from the computer, which is another pitfall for me. Here goes.

Snowey

Premiere Member
I have 3 great big bags of very nice men's and woman's clothes that I am taking to Goodwill tomorrow. I also am going to take a few things out of the closet that is no longer used ( have to do that while DH is at work or he retrieves them)

I sold our bedroom set so I am downsizing alot there, we haev a lovely set, but it is way to big for our bedroom. The good thing is I am shopping more simpler furnishings this weekend !

I love to declutter,,, it makes me feel good,, and especially when I give it to someone who is truly in need it makes their lives easier :)

Edited to add that I also donated alot of my paints to a home for challenged children, so they can do some crafts !

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Such good work is going on here! It is wonderful to read about these "decluttering achievements"!

Well.... today is the day that we put the trash and recycling at the curb.... for early-morning pickup tomorrow. This is my incentive.... to get a little more.... Out The Door!!!

The fall weather has been so beautiful... that I have been spending lots and lots of time outside! I remember that.... at the beginning of 2011.... we started our Decluttering Club with lots of energy and enthusiasm. I am beginning to fear that.... my weeks of "intense decluttering time".... are being replaced with lots of "pressing Real Life activities".

To be realistic.... there MAY be a lot less "decluttering" going on (in my home).... between now and New Years' Eve!

However.... I am hoping for a lot more "good decluttering".... to happen during the remaining weeks of 2011!

Luckily.... there seems to be a renewed enthusiasm for "decluttering, cleaning and organizing".... when all the wonderful excitement of the holidays is over.... and the cold, dark winter days.... settle in to stay. So... Hurray for our.... 2012 Decluttering Club!!!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nancy - great job!
I decluttered the kitchen counter of papers yesterday... there are still some left but things I can't throw away just yet.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So far this month I managed to go through the closet where I store the winter clothes and went through them. Cleaned the basement which ended up having three bags of trash to throw out and a bag of clothes that went to the Salvation Army. Not too bad. :) I think I'll try and get shredding some paper and try and get a garbage bag full to be recycled before the end of the month.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
LittleElf... you are doing great on your decluttering journey! If you had only three trash bags to get out of your basement... you have done a lot of work already!

Saturday -- October 15th. This weekend.. decluttering is NOT going to be a priority!!! Still.... having a big black trash bag handy... as I am picking up each room.... it's amazing that those trash bags DO fill up... and go Out The Door!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD had a cabinet for dvds which she took out of her room last week (lack of room with the new drawers).. her boyfriend picked it up today. :) DH couldn't say no... otherwise I'm sure he'd have kept it in the garage... now it's out of the house!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Hi girls Happy Monday! Not much in the way of decluttering this past weekend. I did reorganize some scrapbook papers I took out of the garage...thinking I'd be tossing most of it, but no...98% of it was good!

I returned a pair of shoes to PayLess today, that have been in the trunk of the car for a couple of weeks! I need to shred today and tomorrow we have lots to take to recycling to get our $1.98 back! Haha...not really, well I hope it's more than than...darn California CRV! Hey if it's $8, it's better in our pockets!

Hope you all have a great week!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Monday - October 17th (I think)! Today.... NO decluttering. Instead.... dh and I decided to try a 2-week "healthy eating, detox" plan from Dr. Oz (the TV Dr. Oz). So... I spent the day shopping and chopping and cooking. It DOES feel good and it tastes good... but it really does take a lot of time to put together.

Tomorrow... I won't need to shop.... so I WILL try for some decluttering!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wednesday - October 19th! Dr. Oz's "Healthy Eating Plan"... takes a lot more time and effort than I usually spend preparing food. (No matter WHAT Dr. Oz says.... dealing with fresh fruits and vegetables DOES take time!) So... after two days of shopping and cooking.... the kitchen looks like a war zone. (The food has been delicious, though!)

I have TWO incentives this week.... to get things cleaned up and Out The Door!! First.... the Thrift Shop begins accepting donations on Wednesday of each week. (Today). AND.... tomorrow is the day that we put our trash and recycling at the curb... for pickup early Friday morning!

One nice thing: cooking with the fresh food.... made the kitchen smell great and feel pretty cozy! AND... I actually seem to have a bit more energy from eating all the fresh vegetables.

OKAY.... off I go.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Of course luludou! :D Every little bit helps! I finally got rid of the bags of garbage out the door and the basement looks so nice now. Hope Vic can keep it clean like that. LOL! He was amazed. I figure if I do it every year it won't seem like such a big chore.
I think I'm going to go through the kids books and see which ones are too old and ratty to keep.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I've been decluttering a little here and there. Yesterday after work, I finished emptying out a large box of odd and ends. Most of it was clutter and out it went to the curb. That box went from a closet, to the laundryroom, then the garage and now out!!! It has haunted me for years. It was a lot of small items collected over the years by everyone in the family. When someone didn't know what to do with something and didn't want it, but still couldn't bear to throw it out... in the box it went. Well, now, out to the curb it went!!!