Word of the Year 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have thought of the word that I would use this year. I have looked at several, but decided to use, Restore.

Restore:
Back from a changed condition
Bring into existence or effect again
Bring back to a former or original condition, appearance
Put back in a former place, position, reinstate
To bring back to health and vigor
Give back--return

I have let so much go over the years!!!! We use to take so much pride in our yard and garden and had beautiful flowers and yard decorations out, the house was better kept when the kids were young (should be better now with them older), I use to take better care of myself. We use to attend church weekly--I haven't been going but I read the Bible and pray.

Can't really say when all started to go upside down. We had the 3 deaths in '05 and I know from then we got spread out (should say Allen more so). He started mowing my moms big yard and then Aunt Imogene quit mowing her lots and he was doing more for those 2. He retired in '16 had the leg issue that year getting broke and then still just trying to help all. More stuff started coming to our house/garage from family members. On and on.....Was down last year with the leg for several months. Me---guess just to lazy to do anything---so overwhelmed when looking at it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have been getting rid of stuff but so much and never enough hours.

I would also like to help in some way to others who would need something. Rather it be sewing lap quilts for elders, dresses for girls etc.....

So sorry to bore you all with all of that but here is hoping that in 2022 I can restore several areas of my life and home.

Lisa, you cracked me up, also.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana, sending good thoughts to you. It is tough when things change and you are struggling to find a way out. I suppose the first part of RESTORE is to understand that you are not happy and to make a plan. You have done both. Small steps. You help so many others, ask for help and I am sure that it will come to you.

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Lana, I hear you. It's so easy to go down a rabbit hole with one thing and then it spirals into other areas. Sending a hug your way!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary, I can relate to this because I feel like I had to do this sorta thing the past year. Not exactly the same thing, but I had to step back from my roll as caretaker to multiple people in my life and like Katrina do not regret it. I've been an initiator the majority of my life in most relationships and it's wore me down. By stepping back I realized a couple of my closest relationships really are a one way street in a round about way. Maybe make a commitment to yourself to try it this coming year. Give yourself a time period and at the end see how you feel. I'm still working on how I'm going to proceed this coming year, but I needed it badly.
Yes, exactly! I stopped initiating activities and that's when I discovered that there are few people who want to hang out with us besides my family and extended family. I was also just saying to my dh today that there are also friends that I'm realizing are using me as their dumping ground but don't reciprocate being the one dumped on. I'm just drained after talking with them. I will take some time to think about things. Thanks for sharing. It's been helpful! :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Yes, exactly! I stopped initiating activities and that's when I discovered that there are few people who want to hang out with us besides my family and extended family. I was also just saying to my dh today that there are also friends that I'm realizing are using me as their dumping ground but don't reciprocate being the one dumped on. I'm just drained after talking with them. I will take some time to think about things. Thanks for sharing. It's been helpful! :)
I'm glad. I'm still torn as what to do myself moving forward, however, one of the friends may end up moving away after 20 years, so it may just progress naturally. All I know is, many days I really think I need new friends. Friendships that are a 2 way street. It's sad, but true.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lana, Minnie, Mary-
Your posts are speaking to me. I feel all these things.
One of the common things with MHHers is we are all givers and care takers.
I think it is common for us to feel we take a lot on, we give more than we get,
others needs come before our own.
Those have been common themes in my life.

So glad we have each other!

Annie

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Do any of you display your word of the year in your home? I do most years, not all. Just depends on delivery. In 2020 I think it was Revitalize and I happened to be in Home Goods and their was a Rae Dunn sign that had it right there. Bam...Bought it and it still hangs in my bedroom. One year I had it engraved in a bracelet. One year I had my daughter embroider it for me. Last year I didn't because I just felt weird about hanging "Self-Preservation" in my home..haha But TRUST ME, it felt stamped on my forehead, so I was good. I wasn't going to forget that one. I may look up a stencil for this year, because it would be fun to play with strength and have some sort of fun background. Or use my cricut to make a sign...same concept.

2.jpg

strong.jpg

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My word is prepare. So far, so good. I do like the idea of displaying the word somewhere in the house. I might think of a place where it would do the most good.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
The last year I taught school was very challenging to me. I make a collage on a page in my planner of inspirational words/phrases. It helped me get through many days when I needed that extra push. I still look at it on days I need some renewal.

Many days, I had to remind myself of the Bible verse that says, "Do everything as unto the Lord."

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've been reading through and am so inspired by all of you. I am still thinking on my word. Last year I chose 5 words, crazy I know. I'm still not sure exactly what my word will be for 2022, but it will come to me when it is ready and I will welcome it when it does. Until then, I will keep my eyes and ears open until something feels absolutely right. I am in no rush. :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I opened this thread to see the list that Lucie posted. The word that spoke to me was BE.

And that's it for this year - I just want to BE - I want to be healthy, I want to be creative, I want to be patient, I want to be a good friend, mother and MIL, I want to be a brilliant hostess and fantastic cook, I want to be someone that my friends and the groups I belong to can depend upon, etc., etc.

But I also have to realize that I am getting older - heck, I am old - I'll be 75 this year and have to realize that there are some limitations that I have to deal with, the most important thing being that my energy is not what it was nor is my body. And I have to accept these limitations and just BE what I am. I'll not be a size 10 again, but I am healthy, I can't do 5 things in one day - maybe 3, I can't volunteer for every position and event that I'd like to and the next generation will just have to take over, I can't host and cook for every holiday - others will have to step in, even if it's a good caterer (and I must say that DS and DDIL have been great in this regard).

So, it's not giving up, it's adjusting to the time and place where I and my DH are. I'd just like to BE - a woman happy with her life and her family as it is, not having to deal with too much stress, done with Covid -please - and ready to live her best life.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I opened this thread to see the list that Lucie posted. The word that spoke to me was BE.

And that's it for this year - I just want to BE - I want to be healthy, I want to be creative, I want to be patient, I want to be a good friend, mother and MIL, I want to be a brilliant hostess and fantastic cook, I want to be someone that my friends and the groups I belong to can depend upon, etc., etc.

But I also have to realize that I am getting older - heck, I am old - I'll be 75 this year and have to realize that there are some limitations that I have to deal with, the most important thing being that my energy is not what it was nor is my body. And I have to accept these limitations and just BE what I am. I'll not be a size 10 again, but I am healthy, I can't do 5 things in one day - maybe 3, I can't volunteer for every position and event that I'd like to and the next generation will just have to take over, I can't host and cook for every holiday - others will have to step in, even if it's a good caterer (and I must say that DS and DDIL have been great in this regard).

So, it's not giving up, it's adjusting to the time and place where I and my DH are. I'd just like to BE - a woman happy with her life and her family as it is, not having to deal with too much stress, done with Covid -please - and ready to live her best life.
Best word ever. I think everyone would like this word.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
You are amazing. You have nailed this whole Word of the Year thing.......Perfect.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Debbie, this is beautiful. It sums up what I wanted last year and carries over into what I want this year, too, by choosing the word "steady".

Covid (I believe, because I have read about this in others) has left some after effects by setting up bad arthritic conditions and swelling in my hands, including trigger finger in one finger - almost overnight. It's the reason I had to go have my wedding rings cut off, and have yet to have them fitted again. Even simple tasks that were easy are no longer. I've had arthritis in both my hands and feet for over 10 years, but it has accelerated exponentially in the last 3 months, about 6 months after having Covid. Maybe it will resolve. I don't know. I'm only 57, so I'm hoping it will resolve rather than get worse. All that to say, that I'm right where you are with adjusting to the time and place I'm at in my life and the changes that are coming with it.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Do any of you display your word of the year in your home? I do most years, not all. Just depends on delivery. In 2020 I think it was Revitalize and I happened to be in Home Goods and their was a Rae Dunn sign that had it right there. Bam...Bought it and it still hangs in my bedroom. One year I had it engraved in a bracelet. One year I had my daughter embroider it for me. Last year I didn't because I just felt weird about hanging "Self-Preservation" in my home..haha But TRUST ME, it felt stamped on my forehead, so I was good. I wasn't going to forget that one. I may look up a stencil for this year, because it would be fun to play with strength and have some sort of fun background. Or use my cricut to make a sign...same concept.

View attachment 1586

View attachment 1584
Very cleaver idea to display the word!!!.......one year I took out my scrabble game and put one of the letter trays with my display that said "Gratefull" ........I think I might do that now with my word of "simplify."......... then it is a reminder to my husband too ! !!

Laurie

2022 Simplify

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Do any of you display your word of the year in your home?
I don't necessarily shoe the word each year but I've done visual representation too. One year I had the word engraved on my bracelet as a daily reminder. Another year, I had the camera out to remind me to Focus. Declutter - wicker laundry basket; Receive - open hands, etc. This year's word is release. Maybe someone escaping jail would be good? Or how about someone escaping an asylum? LOL An empty bird cage? A butterfly as it leaves the cocoon? Balloon? Maybe all of them because there are some aspects in each example that is relatable.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. It gives me something to think on now.