Gift closet 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'm impressed ladies!

I have some stuff left over from this year so I can apportion that out through 2014.

Stopped in at Home Goods and got 2 sets of holiday spreaders and some more peppermint bark chocolate for me:)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I suppose that all we can do is the best that we can. If we find something throughout the year that we think will be useful, and we have the funds, then grab it.
I always though try and have a recipient in mind for the gift. No point buying stuff because it is a good buy, and then not having an appropriate recipient. Even a bargain is a waste of money if that is the case.

Keep building up the closets and please post here, so you can spread the inspiration.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Cute

I use to hide gifts in suitcases. Worked really well until one year I forgot to check the suitcase. I didn't find the gifts until about 8 months later when we took a trip. lol
LOL that is a cute story!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I managed to pick up a Christmas present for DMom this year when in town yesterday - at more than half off!! So I have both her birthday and Christmas sorted already. And I have plenty of small items for stockings, if the siblings do them again. So I need to have a look around now for anything useful in the ends of the sales (really deep discount times!!) for big presents for my Dad, siblings, aunts and uncles, and DH's family. (And store them without DH seeing them as he freaked out about spending this Christmas - when it was a usual spending year and even less pressure on my account than normal! He just saw more of the bills and paid more for a couple of things - but he had received some very nice things last year and this and knew he needed to make that up to me so had asked me what I really wanted, so I told him 1 item that I did, but cost €€€, and he and his siblings added in a tablet to the presents for his DPs at the last minute as well.)

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
went shopping this morning. got bags and gift tags 2 totes paper plates all 75% off. got 2 gifts for next Christmas. have a couple things left from this Christmas so off to agood start.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Gift Closet?

Is your gift closet for specific gifts for specific people kept until next Christmas?

Or is it used for picking up little odds and ends for stockings or up coming surprise events that you need a little gift to bring all year long?

Or both?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jampss - in my gift closet I put ALL the gifts I need for birthdays during the year and all the Christmas gifts. I also have a see-through box labeled 'elves' (gifts the elves bring during December) and one labeled 'stocking stuffers' where I put stuff as I find it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My closet is basically just for Christmas presents and stocking fillers. I only buy for people on my list, I don't grab things 'just in case'. Birthday presents are stored there just for the short term.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying y'all!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I use it for Christmas . I went to michales this morning got several cupcake liners for 20 cents got some Christmas paper and envelopes and a santa claus flag all for 3.00 went to bed bath and beyond got 4 boxes and 6 bows. all finished with gift wrap bags and bows now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got 2 pairs of pj bottoms for DS last night, clearance from Target $3.00 a pair. Will put them away for either birthday for July, or Christmas.
Have started looking for non perishable stocking fillers. Got some lovely room spray marked at $7.00 for $2.00, they also had the matching candles for $2.00 so that will go into DD stocking.
Buying stocking fillers are one of my favorite things.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did the groceries yesterday and picked up a few more stocking fillers. Got some sun block spray for DS and some air freshmen sachets for in the kids wardrobes. In the next few weeks it will be a great time to pick up the end of summer items. Also a good time here to stock up on stationary as the back to school items are everywhere.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Summer

a great time to pick up the end of summer items.
LOL "end of summer" threw me for a sec. I was telling DS10 about how some of my MHH friends have a "hot" Christmas if they live in Australia or south of equator. He had to really ponder that and try to think how that would "feel". Cute.

I am such not a good shopper. I get in, get what I need, get out. I really need to learn to poke around slower and catch good stocking stuffer items and such better! Sigh .... a New Year's resolution?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jampss, a lot of my stocking fillers are found at the store. I too like to get in and out, but every now and then I do browse more slowly. If I see something that would be suitable, I write it on my shopping list and add it to my notebook to remind me to pick it up later.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks sweetpumkinpye, I now have a new Christmas list App on my phone to keep the ideas in my mind for gifts. And I will try to shop more slowly ... Browsing!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Groceries today. Kmart had summer pj shorts and shirts reduced from $20.00 to $4.00 so I got a pair for my mum and I and will put those in the closet for Christmas. Also got some lovely hand soap for my mums stocking.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
went to fye for 12.00 got a Minnie mouse throw and tumbler set a elf stocking and Rudolph stocking and a red gift bag with tissue paper.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to an outlet centre near our town today, got some lovely jewelry for DD stocking for $1.00 a piece. Picked up some sumner dresses for me for $11.00 originally $40.00 each.
Got DH a few things for his birthday in March. It was a nice day.