Gift closet 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Spent some time yesterday putting away the things that I bought in the US. Did not get as much as I thought I would, a lot of the stuff I was looking at before I left was only available online once I got to the stores!! But having said that I still got quite a few things (mainly stocking fillers) to put away. I found that CVS and Walgreens were great places to find different things. I got hand warmers, different flavor chap sticks, hairclips, and some good quality but well priced make up. So well worth the trip.
Now that I am home and Christmas is looming so quickly I will have to get my tail into high gear and really get the Christmas shopping going.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have a very good start on my Christmas shopping. I have the guys at the office done. And several things for individuals. Two things for Lindsay. One thing for Sam. A couple for Dd. I'm amazed that I have about 1/3 done! Yay for MHH for helping us getting organized.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sounds like everyone is getting a great start on the Christmas shopping.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Last week I got:

Christmas CD (Tony Bennett) that the elves will bring
Chrismas movie (Jingle All the way) that the elves will bring

2 sweaters (for my brothers) - will add some chocolate with that and their gift is done!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I only have a handful of things tucked away so far:

4 handmade ornaments
2 Mickey Mouse watches
2 jump ropes
2 Lisa Frank sticker sets

Right now I am focusing on craft projects to "fill" the gift closet...

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
got some yankee candles on sale today to put back for my daughters. also some bath and body lotions/.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You guys are doing so great. Does "thinking" about it count? I did that last week....LOL For real, I have some big changes coming in the Fall, that leave my job and business questionable. So I'm going to start buying some gift cards now for all my basic stores as I can. Anything will help, so that's my plan.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
When I did the groceries today I picked up some lovely hand soap in a raspberry scent for my stocking. It is a very summery scent so that will be nice. I picked up some moistened face wipes for DS and I noticed a few other items in the same range, so I am thinking of doing him a 'manscaping" parcel.

What I really need to concentrate on now is making a list of baking items that I will need, and start gathering a few of those every shop over the next few months. i have scaled back my baking list so hopefully the to buy list will not be too big.

I am getting a little jittery because Christmas is approaching so quickly.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
The summer sales are starting here, so I want to look for a few things for people in the next couple of weeks. Starting today with "The Kilkenny Shop", as that has great reductions on great bags, scarves, crafts etc. I need to get properly started on my closet, as I only have 1 thing in it so far, and I know I need to buy proper presents for everyone this year (we haven't talked as siblings yet, but I feel that the KK didn't work well last year and needs to be dropped). I know that I want to buy, small things but individually, for all the aunts and uncles - I no longer have a Godparent to buy for, and live physically near them all (unlike my siblings), and want to show how I do appreciate them. It doesn't have to be part of the wider family gathering though - I can do it when it is the smaller group on Christmas itself (my immediate family will be up later in the week).

Other than that, I also want to be done earlier too, so that time is back on my side in December. So stocking the closet is now on my agenda!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sounds like everone is doing great. I haven't bought anything Christmas related in the last couple months as I haven't had the time to go shopping. THe kids and their sports have taken up most of my free time in the past 2 months but their sport activities are slowing down. The bright side is that we have put more money away for Christmas Shopping.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The gift closets are starting to bulge!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Mine is not bulging yet, but I got a great gift for DNiece (either the 4 year old or 2 year old - she plays with older kids toys so the "no under 3s" label in this case is ok to ignore - it's about having batteries not small parts). Mothercare/Early Learning Centre had mis-marked a batch of toy "cleaning carts", from €55 down to €16 (instead of €36!). Of course, I got one at that reduced price. It is a cart, with play hoover, brush, mop, and small sweeper and pan set. They already have a toy kitchen in their playroom and will adore this!! I know even their 6 year old DBro will be using it a lot.

I haven't seen anything else in the summer sales yet, but I have started looking. And I know I have to get a few things for a baby shower, new baby, DBro birthday present and DSis birthday presents (and DH birthday present!) in the next few weeks too, to bring to Canada with me.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Added 2 very nice men scarves to the closet. Either for my brothers or to add as gifts when we play games.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
have agood collection of bath and body products for gifts and yankee candles. they both have had good sales.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I got a few more items for Teigans poster today. I will do her a small gift a day until 12-24. Did that for her parents and my son until just a couple years ago.

I do have some items for some adults too.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I got a lovely metal bookmark for DH's uncle at a market in Brussels yesterday. Delighted that it's something nice and not just a booktoken this year (I may get a small one to go with it though).

And I also managed to get 2 nice flowerbasket decorations (Brussels lace) and 2 sets of bunches of grapes - which will go into my collection of items for the "Bride's Box". I have 1 DBro who is getting ready for his wedding (they're living together for years), and another DSis who is threatening to get engaged and married quite fast. So I need to have my collection reasonably near complete. I have now got 1 set of 10 items, of the 13 possibles (you do 12, but a bunch of grapes is a good option, as a German symbol of friendship, if you can't find something like - say - a teapot, or a fruit basket! They're usually the trickiest), and a second set of 7 I think. Another Santa and Angel are ok to find, even in summer. I can sew a fish. I can even try to sew a teapot.

I got DDad's present last weekend - a beautiful carved seabird to put in their holiday home beside the sea, with very sea themed decor. He loves birds, and this is a lovely one.

I've managed to get PJs for both DH and DD in the sales - Angry Birds all in one and a pair of AB slippers for DD, and a lovely soft cotton pair that DD helped pick for DH - and she paid for them using a gift card she was given for her communion!! She was so delighted to be the grown up person doing that! (Although I was a mixture of pride, and "how the hell is she so grown up" at her having to sign the docket for the pre-paid card swipe - just like a credit card!! )

I need to start getting my act together on stockings though. And lots of other big presents!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Target had their large bath sheets at 50% off yesterday. I got two towels, two face cloths and a bathmat for DS. I got DD a bobble bottle, and DH a book and some track pants. I have this on layby and will pay if off over the next few weeks. I still need to get quite a few more things but so far I am doing well.
DS has a nice new girl friend, so I will start thinking about gifts for her soon.

The baking goods are starting to accumulate, still need to get lots more baking stuff, but not too bad.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Made some jams last week that will be used for teachers gifts. Still have a lot more jams and fruit butters to make and can but I have started.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I found 2 nice pairs of jeans for DD in the sales today, I might keep those for Christmas and find 2 nice tops to go with them. I also got a nice pair of navy shorts and a navy tshirt, but I'll give those to her in time for our holidays.

I got a nice new baby present too, which will probably be a Christmas present (I have something for newborn present and the size means it can wait - just about!).

I really need to get cracking properly though.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Hallmark is clearing things out before their Keepsake opening weekend, so I found a really nice monogram stamp and notecards for my niece and daughter. (and myself!)

I also ordered 2 gifts online.