Gift closet 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm got a stuffed Ernie for DD1 ($24,99 on for $3.49) and a Thomas train set for DD3 ($99.99 on for $14) I'm finished shopping for DD1 now. :)
Oh! I got kitchen sets, normally $70 for $12 each. Had to buy two for free shipping.
Also got B is for Baking (Sesame Street cookbook on Amazon 75% off) and C is for Cooking (60% off on Amazon).
I'm thinking maybe each of my girls will get one of the books wrapped with a cookbook and a kitchen set. If I have time, I'm going to try to make them each and apron and a chef's hat, and that can be their gift from Mom and Dad.

-btw, Bargain discount books from Amazon almost always have a black line drawn across the top of the pages. The other day DD3 said, "Mommy, why do all my books have little black lines?" hehe....

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I bought a wine bottle opener for my daughter today and a tshirt for my son in law.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have started digging in my stash to see who I brought for already. There are 4 or 5 that I can mark off my list that are done. But.... a new great niece and great nephew this year plus a granddaughter so it sure isn't shrinking.

I have decided to cut back on my 2 nephews and their wives. One has 3 kids and the other 2 and we get for them. My sister cut my 2 kids off 3 or 4 yrs. ago but I hate to so decided to give but stay under $5 for each couple this yr.. I got some throws big thick soft plushy Christmas throws after Christmas last yr. for $2.50 and then with the Gooseberry Patch sale after the holidays I brought several of the little cookbooks (10 of each) on cheese and the other on potatoes for $1.95 each (normally 7.95) and 2 of their big books for 2.95 each. So I am thinking a throw and a little cookbook and if I do potholders they are done. Useful and cheaper than the $25-30 I would spend on them.

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Am so excited to see how organised you all are. We have loads of stuff bought for Rowan (Dd, will be 16 months at Christmas), books, 'muppet' soft toys, dvds. We will get her a couple of toys, maybe 1 bigger purchase). I dont have much else though, I struggle to get ahead for others, but am determined to try, so will keep watching to keep inspired :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, good effort on buying for DD. All we can do is keep forging ahead trying to get it all done before the 'big day'.

DS has a new GF who is a delight. They seem to be serious, so I will have to think of her this Christmas. I like her a lot but I have noticed that see has expensive tastes. She told me in conversation that her favourite perfume is Chanel No 5.!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I picked up some dishtowels and dishcloths for DDIL for her stocking while I was at the beach. guess I'll start the stocking stuffer boxes soon.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to Target and got some bargains. A polar fleece sweat shirt for DH for $5.00 which will be great for at the farm. I picked up a lovely button up shirt for DS which was $25.00 down to $11.00 but my mum took that for in her stash. Cheeky thing.
Got some tea towels and bits and pieces for DS. I will start getting him some housewares for if he moves out.

Still need to work on getting more gifts, but so far the gift closet is looking pretty good.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I got presents for 2 of my DSis's over the past few days. A "book" for holding earrings for 1, and a set of icing tools for the other (who is into cake making). One is unusual and perfect, the other was perfect and reduced. So both in my price range.

We did not agree yet on Secret Santa for the siblings this year, and there was a row about it in Canada - the ILs were all deciding amongst themselves what they would get each other while 1 sibling was trying to do the draw without agreeing which "ILs" were included (those married? those engaged? in fact, she'd only included 1 spouse and forgotten the other!) and there were differences of opinion on who should be included so a row about doing the draw then ensued (between 3 siblings, resulting in upsetting all of us) but no discussion about the issue followed (and there wasn't really an opportunity to either).

So in the meantime, I am buying a reasonable present for everyone (siblings, spouses, engaged partners and all) and assuming no stockings this year. But I will be the good eldest sibling and send an email making enquiries later this week (need to allow feelings to settle a little after the summer holidays).

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I bought a DISCO ball at Target. I seen it a few weeks ago and knew I wanted to go back and buy it for my niece. I mean, what middle school kid doesn't want a lighted disco ball in their room for late night chats with the girlies!!

I did go through my gift box on Sunday and take inventory. I've got a few things, but nothing major yet. While I was camping last weekend, I did get a briliant idea on what to get my husband though and that's hard!! I'm going to get him a go pro camera for his motorcycle helmet. BRILLIANT!! It was like a light bulb moment of excitement. Normally, I have NO CLUE what to get him.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, well done on having an idea of what to get your husband. My DH is very hard to buy for. He has no ideas and cannot help with suggestions at all.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I did pick up some hand soaps from bath and body . they all smell so good.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got some shower gels today (5 different types), a salad dressing mixing bottle for dd, an after shave gel for ds

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
Kick-off for my giftcloset...bought one yesterday for my father and ordered one for my boyfried via amazon..

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Housewife2 When DD and I were in the US I fell in love with bath and Body Works. Their stuff was amazing, but there was only so much room in my suitcase :(

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I also put $50.00 on a Target gift card to use at Christmas. Although the task was not easy. I had a new girl and she kept telling me I needed the code. I patiently told her, I don't have a code, because I haven't BOUGHT IT YET!! She's like...Well look here, that's what it says. I tried 3x and finally left and went to another register and said..uh..I think the young gal on 13 need some ADDITIONAL training before she's alone..LOL But I kept my cool..and moved on.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
MinnieCo you did very well by keeping calm with her.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good job Michelle, it is hard to keep your cool in situations like that.

I just had delivered a gift for DD that was absolutely free (sort of). In Australia there is a scheme called Flybuys that is linked to the supermarket. When ever you spend $5.00 you get points. I had 30,000 points and got DD one of the new Vidal Sasoon hair curlers. I have seen them in the stores for around $200 so to get one free is great. I am sure she will be thrilled.
Now to get DS something from my other supermarket loyalty card.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes im sure I go overboard sometimes at bath and body but with 3 daughters a granddaughter and a sons girlfriend. they can all use something from there.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I use my Flybuys points to convert Flybuys Dollars- can be spent in any store that accepts Flybuys cards- I currently have $200. Hoping for another $50 or so before November. I will use this to stock the wine cupboard.

Other than that I have done really well this year. We have a small family. I could do Christmas tomorrow if I had to. I pick up things as I see them through the year. I try never to pay full price for things if I can help it.

I try to buy a season ahead- I got my son a whole lot of clothes for our upcoming summer at the end of summer sales last year. This year I will stock up for next year. He likes plain colours so it pretty easy- as navy, beige etc are classic colours so do not date.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the local mall today to do the groceries and picked up a few more gifts.
Got the kids some DVD's that they had asked for. Also got some new bottles for the soda stream maker which I will put under the tree from Santa.
There is certainly Christmas starting to appear in every shop, but I am sure that we will see much more in the weeks to come.