January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Well, interviewing and a Fairy birthday party (for a 5 year old) took most of the attention recently, but I managed to get back to some of it over the weekend.

I sorted DD's wardrobe and pulled out a pile of things that she has grown out of (again!!) so they are in a seperate pile in the guest room at present (I will store them in the storage unit next weekend - for either of the DNieces when they get big enough). There are also 3 tops that have been so well worn that I will be putting them in the clothing recycling bin.

I sorted the pile off the dining table on Friday night, and there was some recycling to be done there. I also sorted the bench beside the dining table, and all my work papers are now in one box that I will move to the office (the work one, not upstairs) on Friday. Cos I drive daily but only get a space in the building car park on Fridays and it's a good 15 minute walk otherwise (too far with a whole banker's box).

And last night, I sat with the pile of papers in the sitting room and sorted them into crafts, recipes, Christmas and personal. I managed to pull out about 3 inches of papers to get rid of, although I didn't cull in earnest last night. I will do that as I sort each section and file them. But those 3 inches are gone in the recycling this morning!!

It might all be little bits, but we ARE making progress.

I think for February, I want to concentrate on the Guest bedroom, to get rid of the things to store, recycle, dump etc in there and also go through everything I have stored in the wardrobe. So that we can have visitors with space for them, and also in case we have to get an au-pair (if DH DOES have to go abroad for 3 months).

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I use the large suitcases in the attic for storing out of season clothes, and when I got the storage unit last autumn, I used the larger suitcases for storing clothes but also the good towels (so they wouldn't be ruined while the builders are in). MIL keeps her really good table linens in one suitcase also.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I think I will make the January challenge. This seems to be easier than the Grand Plan. Don't know why. I guess, with the Move It Out Monday and then having a main and mini focus just seems to work better. Hopefully by the time those plans start we will just have to touch up spots.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I posted in the move it out monday thread but I have been working under my bed today. I have alot of boxes (some empty don't know why I have them) and my extra blankets and such. moved them around to better places and got all but one big comfortor out from under the bed. Threw out some stuff like boxes and some storage bags then let the roomba vacuum under there for me. Still need to find a better home for a few things but that might be easier after I decultter another space.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
i can not believe how much stuff people have decluttered this month!! So great and i know having this thread helped me stay motivated to keep working on that horrible basement!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Today I got alot of stuff done. I completely decluttered and cleaned the laundry porch area. I wish I would have taken before and after photos, that's how bad it was. Now the trick will be keeping it the way it is now.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
I haven't posted for awhile but I have been trying to declutter! I worked on my master closet and was able to get rid of a bag of odds and ends that I just shoved in the bottom! There was only a few items, like 3 that I really needed. I still need to go through my clothes and start a bag. I've been busy keeping up with what was already decluttered from this summer. I'm staying on top of my jewelry. I also cleaned out my nightstand again. I have a feeling that my nightstand is going to turn into a monthly declutter!! It's like a magnet for stuff!! I also worked on 1 draw in the kitchen and organized that. It was an easy draw and I didn't have much to toss.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have been doing so well. The first month of our decluttering journey is nearly over and I for one am thrilled with what I got done.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Trying to reach my goal of having all my Christmas put away tonight. It's been a long month and I'm feeling better now. Don't think I'll get it all done tonight, but most of it. I've put a huge stack in the corner of stuff I want to get rid of. Including a wreath or two. I love wreaths, but I like making new ones every few years or so.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just filled 4 trash cans to go out with the janitor tonight at my office. I will admit, half of it came from my parnters office. It's like going into the abyss in there. But I survived! He's not in the office much, then on top of that he's a bit of a hoarder, so I just tossed food that expired in 2007. I betcha he'll ask me where it went! Feels great!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Everyone is doing so great! I love the inspiration I get from this thread. Tonight while the boys are at youth group I'm attacking my January mini focus area - my desk. I think I ought to be able to get it done in one evening and I'll be so happy to have it neat and organized. Thanks for continuing to share your stories. It's nice to know we are all in this together!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
My bedroom is certainly improving! Now I've gotten rid of what isn't needed/wanted/broken etc, it's not so much clutter, but general organisation that I need to work on. I'll need to think of storage for things like the spare quilts and pillows etc, which at the moment are just thrown to the top of the wardrobe (I'm short haha). Also, sorting clothes which are all good to keep, but only suitable for summer or winter. I need to get some space bags or something so I can put them away when not in use :)

Great to have gotten rid of so much stuff that was just clutter though!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh, as for my mini zone - the computer desk. It's been up and down lol! My DH helped with clearing it off and cleaning it (the clutter here is mostly his - craft paintbrushes and bits and pieces. He paints miniatures). Doesn't last long though. It was great! Now it's cluttered up again :(

I think in this case it's also a case of storage and organisation. What we need is a desk with drawers. A the moment it's really just a table that we use and there's no where really to store anything!

Work in progress I guess. It's actually in the living room, which is my February room (room per month cleaning). We'll see how we go this time round!

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Kim....to quote High School Musical...."We're all in this together......" for teen moms out there, I'm sure you know the lyrics....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am realising that along with decluttering I am saving money.

1) I found some craft kits that I had stored in a cupboard. I am doing the x stitch as a gift for my mother for Christmas and 2 pillow cases as mothers day presents. No need to BUY gifts now.

2) Wanting to craft a few things this year. Have written a list and when I went to my decluttered craft cupboard could tick of a few things on the list as I already had it. Before decluttering I would have to go and buy the things, ending up with duplicates.

3). When I went shopping today I really thought about what I was going to do with those little bargains I picked up. After I realised I did not really need them to be cluttering up my house I put them back. I save about $30.00 today by NOT bringing clutter into my home.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Way to go Katrina! It does make you think doesn't it? I went shopping tonight and looked at a few things but just got matches to burn trash, wastecan for DS's room, oxiclean and I did buy a All You magazine.

I am over 3/4 done in my room and it feels good when you go in and see the changes.

Kim, how does the desk look?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
lana, agreed it does look good to see the differences we have made. My house has a way to go yet but is certainly a lot better that what it was a month ago,

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
I know I'm LATE.........January 27th.......lol!

But here goes: Since my "word" for 2011 is "COMPLETE", I am determined to finish unfinished projects, declutter, & clean as I go.

Move It Out Monday: gather things all week long and throw into bags in trunk of car, drop
off on Monday am

Pick A Room- MBR 1st. Since it also is home to my mini office, that will be my:

Mini-Focus!

BETTER GET AT IT......ONLY 5 DAYS LEFT!!!

Pippi

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Someone at work gave me a huge bag of preloved baby clothes. Many are seasonally-inappropriate for my spring baby, so I went through them all and bagged up over 50 items to give to the crisis pregnancy center.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This "monthly" declutter thread is SO GREAT! i just love seeing how many different kinds of things that our MHH Family Members are working on!!! That really demonstrates how "every little bit helps"!!!!