January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to file those two idea for book give-a-ways.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Aggy, great idea about the shoe racks. I look forward to seeing how they fit in the closet.
I really like the idea about the book swap at the train station.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
Finally!! All my Christmas decorations and tree are down and put away. I love Christmas, but it always feels so good to put everything away. The house looks less cluttered. Now I can concentrate on other areas of decluttering. Still working on my Desk area, but everytime I do one task, something else comes in the mail or e-mail that needs to be taken care of. Like I said once before, running a house is like a business. The paperwork never ends!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Our goodwill is very small and doesn't take books...no room. My Aunt is coming to visit in 2 weeks and says she'll take the books to drop off at the VA hospital near her house (that's where all of my CDs went after I loaded them onto the computer)

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
My husband came in my office a couple of days ago, and said. "What's that brown thing?" I looked around, and he was talking about the top of my wooden filing cabinet! He said he didn't think he'd ever seen the top of it before, and he's probably hasn't!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My car is now loaded with a box of cardboard, 2 sacks of plastic items, a large sack of plastic bags (those babies hatch fast!!), 1 3/4 sacks of slick magazines, 3/4 bag of newspapers and in the back seat a box (or flat) of Christmas cards that will be cardboard.

So that is some stuff out. Should get unloaded in the a.m..

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My magazines go through a long forwarding process. My MIL gives me hers. I read them, then take them to work for my operators. Once they are done, I have someone on freecycle that comes and gets them. She says after she gets done with them, she takes them to the waiting room at the doctors office. Makes me feel kind of good not to put them in the trash.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana great job on the decluttering. I just took 3 loads down to the charity bin. It looks like everyone is decluttering because lots of the bins are full. Went through my linen cupboard and threw some stuff out. Still need to go through the winter sheets and make sure that they are OK

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
FINALLY!! Something to report! Not really decluttering, but I'll take it anyway! I've finally gotten through all of my shredding! I really need to get better at it, not leaving it so long!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Nancy, that is decluttering. You'll be emptying that into the trash and saying goodbye. Good job!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Another snow day today...we got hit hard! So I didn't spend as much time in the basement as I could have but I did manage to put in about an hour. Bagged up another bag of trash, added some things to the box for the Goodwill store, and carried an old high chair out to the back of my van to drop off at Goodwill later.

I also managed to sort through s little more Christmas stuff and get some things back into the storage space, a little better organized than they were.

The basement is a huge declutter job but I am chipping away at it a little at a time. I can see the progress and now when I go down there ...there are some clearly defined "areas" to tackle....rather than EVERYTHING....so the next round I can say..."ok, I'm going to tackle this pile" or this corner etc...

As I said there's a ton more to do but little by little I am FINALLY going to get this monster job DONE!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
good job everyone on all the hard work. I am slowing doing little of this little of that. I went through some food magazines and pulled out a recipe or two. I should have remembered to take the magazines to work to leave. I am trying to get through my cookbooks. I also got 2 to get rid of and I put 3 jackets to get rid of also. HAuled everything into the attic for the yard sale.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ginger great work on tackling the basement. We are so lucky here in Australia that we have neither attics or basements. I would certainly have them both crammed full.
It is hard enough to deal with what rooms we have.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the benefits of decluttering is that there is also a certain amount of organization that goes with it. I am packing some things today to take to my mums where we are having DD birthday party. I am looking for my cheese knives, cake server and dip spreaders. Because I have been decluttering I know exactly where to find things and I am not spending hours moving things trying to find what I need.

Last edited: