January Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I wonder how many total pounds everyone has decluttered?

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh I wouldn't have a clue about the weight!

Still... I've been doing ok with the clothes. The bottom of the closet is clear (YAY!). The hard part is going to be the top.

Plenty still to go though...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Clothes are on my list at some point too...our laundry room has several baskets full...(I don't know how they seem to accumulate) that need to be gone through...most gotten rid of. The other day I actually found several pieces that I could wear...people think I got new clothese but I didn't .....just found some...LOL

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think today I will start going through my closet and drawers and getting rid of anything I haven't worn in a year or that doesn't fit. I don't have that many clothes but what I do have needs to be gone through and sorted.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Katrina, I wish my husband would let go of some of our VHS tapes. But he won't! Drives me crazy! I am going to start replacing my Disney VHS tapes with DVD's though I decided. He won't even let go of any cassette tapes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, DH is pretty good like that. Our VCR stopped working 2 years ago and we bought a DVR. I have been replacing his absolute favorites onto DVD and giving them to him as gifts. Then I say "oh you have this on DVD I will donate the VHS". He is happy. A lot of what we got rid of were taped from the TV so really did not mean anything. I also got rid of quite a few of my old tapes. I figure that if I miss watching it I will buy it on DVD. It is still cheaper than trying to buy a new VCR.

I have actually been really surprised at how good DH has been on this decluttering attempt. He has been quite ruthless when it comes to getting rid of stuff. It is one reason why I want to keep going as quickly as I can before he looses enthusiasm. Gotta love that guy.

ETA, I have 1 video tape of my family taken at my dads last Christmas before he passed away. I have never watched it BUT will need to get it put onto DVD at some stage

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Everyone is doing so good at declutter! I only got rid of one light bulb today. lol

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay....I have two boxes of books and one box of other stuff to take to the Goodwill place tomorrow. Also one piece of furniture is headed there tomorrow too...

And two bags of trash....And believe me when I say there is still MORE to do in that basement....yikes!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ladies it is a marathon not a sprint. Think of where we were not too long ago. It has not been 1 month since Christmas and we are all doing so well with our goals. Even if we gave up now we are so much better off. So a trash bag here and a light globe there are huge achievements.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
We have been having internet problems for the last week but I have been busy in the basement. I went through all of the Christmas decorations, threw a few things out and am donating a few things. I thought there was more stuff to get rid of than there actually was. But everything is organized and packed away. I took everything out of the gift closet and reorganized it. I made a list of what's in there and will enter it in my notebook. I have all of my wrapping paper and ribbon easily accessible for our wrapping parties throughout the year. Now it's on to a storage room. I have a couple of bags to take out tomorrow. It feels great!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I dropped off two bags of the boys' outgrown clothes to the goodwill this morning. I'm trying to find somplace that will take books (hard and soft cover). Our local library is in the middle of a major renovation and is essentially closed. The hospital and local retirement home said "no thanks", too.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Ladies it is a marathon not a sprint. Think of where we were not too long ago. It has not been 1 month since Christmas and we are all doing so well with our goals. Even if we gave up now we are so much better off. So a trash bag here and a light globe there are huge achievements.

I agree. I just finished reading everyone's posts and I applaud you all for how well you're doing.

My goal this month are my bedroom closets. In the master bedroom I have two large closets and the floors are covered with boxes of shoes and the shelves are stuffed with handbags. I pulled everything out and went through each box. Any shoes that were not worth getting heals repaired or that I no longer wear were thrown out or donated. Same thing with the handbags.

I found a way to get rid of the shoe boxes. Lakeside Collections has a wooden shoe rack that holds 50 pairs of shoes. On payday (which is Wednesday) I am ordering 2. The racks are very slender and will leave so much floor space in my closets. I can't wait to get them. For the handbags I am going to Ikea and purchase several of those large storage boxes. They will fit neatly on the shelves and will hide all my handbags.

Will post pictures when the closets are done. I hope it doesn't take long to get the shoe racks.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Decluttered 19 tops out of my closet. I'm not going out today so will have to go Wednesday to drop them off. Already have them in my car.

Love how this decluttering is catchy.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I took mom back her bread machine when I went to get her and she brought out a sack of stuff that was my grandmas. 2 pillows and a afghan (spelled wrong) she made and 3 picture albums.

So much for my moving it out Monday!!!

I use to use my bread machine all the time and it quit so mom gave me hers. But it takes like 4 hours to make a loaf and mine was like 2 hrs 15 min.. So didn't need it sitting around.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Lana, But those are cool family heritage items. Some might make a nice wedding gift one day.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I dropped off two bags of the boys' outgrown clothes to the goodwill this morning. I'm trying to find somplace that will take books (hard and soft cover). Our local library is in the middle of a major renovation and is essentially closed. The hospital and local retirement home said "no thanks", too.

Colleen that's too bad about the books. We have a subway system that runs from the county to the city. At the stations there's a large bookcase of books people donate and riders are free to take one and read it. Then when done they return it at one of the stations and grab another one to read. It's a great way to get rid of them and to share with others.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Aggy that's a great idea about the subway systems!

I brought some in at work, put them in the coffee room & put a 'to give' sign over them... they're all gone.